In this lesson, you will only be learning the chorus to "Coisinha do Pai". Use the audio materials below to familiarize yourself with the basic rhythm and sounds of the lyrics. Take your time and focus on all the nuances of the sound. The more energy you invest in the basics, the easier it is to memorize the entire lyric.
In the audio file below, I repeatedly chant the rhythm of "Coisinha do Pai" through Universal Rhythmic Binary (URB). Make sure you pay close attention, as the syncopated samba rhythm will most likely be the most difficult thing for you to learn this lesson.
- Play the audio straight through and listen closely.
- Play again and try to chant along with me. Depending on your rhythmic perception abilities, it may take several tries for you to get this perfectly correct.
- Once you are comfortable chanting along with me, try to chant the rhythm out loud by yourself. Play the audio again to confirm that you were chanting correctly.
- Remember to loudly emphasize the stressed syllables (DA) and quietly de-emphasize the unstressed syllables (di).
- When you are comfortable chanting the rhythm out loud to yourself, you may move on to the syllables.
In the audio files below, I clearly articulate each syllable twice. Above each file, I include a phonetic transcription of each syllable so that you know exactly what the sound is. If you forget what a symbol means, refer back to the Phonetic Notation Key.
- Press play and listen closely to each syllable.
- Play again and repeat after me as I say each syllable, trying to mimic my pronunciation exactly.
- When you are comfortable with each syllable, say them out loud to yourself without the help of the audio.
- Play again to confirm that you are saying the syllables correct.
Once you are comfortable with each syllable, you may move on to Construction.